Lumbar spinal stenosis is a condition that affects many individuals, causing pain and discomfort in the lower back. At The Spine MDT, we are dedicated to providing comprehensive spine care, led by a spine surgeon and in partnership with osteopaths, physiotherapists, and chiropractors. Our mission is to find the least invasive solution that offers the longest lasting result for patients with lumbar spinal stenosis. In this blog post, we will explore what lumbar spinal stenosis is, its symptoms, and the range of treatment options available.
Understanding Lumbar Spinal Stenosis:
Lumbar spinal stenosis refers to the narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back. This narrowing can occur due to various factors, such as bone overgrowth, herniated discs, or thickened ligaments. As a result, the nerves in the spinal canal become compressed, leading to pain, numbness, and weakness in the lower back, buttocks, and legs. Symptoms may worsen when standing or walking and improve when sitting or bending forward.
Treatment Options for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis:
At The Spine MDT, we offer a comprehensive range of treatment options for lumbar spinal stenosis, ensuring that each patient receives personalized care. Our treatment approaches include:
1. Non-Surgical Interventions:
- Physical therapy and targeted exercises to improve strength and flexibility.
- Osteopathic and chiropractic treatments to optimize spinal alignment and alleviate nerve compression.
- IDD therapy, a non-invasive spinal decompression technique that promotes disc hydration and relieves pressure on nerves. This is offered by some of our physiotherapy and osteopathy partners. Read our blog on IDD therapy
- Epidural Injections and Our Approach: While epidural injections are a commonly used treatment option for some conditions, we prefer not to rely heavily on them for lumbar spinal stenosis. In our experience, epidural injections tend to provide only temporary relief, with limited long-term benefits. Instead, we focus on a comprehensive approach that emphasizes non-surgical interventions, including physical therapy, targeted exercises, and innovative treatments like IDD therapy, to achieve long-lasting results.
2. Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures:
While non-surgical interventions are typically the initial approach, surgical options may be considered if conservative measures fail to provide sufficient relief. As an experienced spine surgeon, I collaborate with our multidisciplinary team, carefully evaluate each patient to determine the most appropriate surgical approach, taking into account the severity of symptoms and individual circumstances.
Surgical options for lumbar spinal stenosis may include:
1. Decompression Surgery: This procedure involves removing the portions of bone, herniated discs, or thickened ligaments that are compressing the nerves. By creating more space within the spinal canal, decompression surgery aims to alleviate nerve compression and relieve symptoms.
2. Spinal Fusion: In some cases, where there is instability or significant degeneration of the spinal segments, spinal fusion surgery may be recommended. This procedure involves joining two or more vertebrae together to provide stability and prevent movement that contributes to nerve compression.
Our surgical interventions are performed using minimally invasive techniques whenever possible. These techniques involve smaller incisions, reduced muscle damage, and shorter recovery times compared to traditional open surgery. However, the decision to undergo surgery is carefully considered and discussed with the patient, taking into account the potential risks and benefits.
At The Spine MDT, we understand the impact that lumbar spinal stenosis can have on your daily life. Our practice, led by a spine surgeon and supported by a team of professionals from various disciplines, is committed to finding the least invasive solution that offers the longest lasting relief for your condition. Contact us today to explore your treatment options and experience our comprehensive approach to spine care.
BMI - Chelsfield Park Hospital
Private Consultations and Surgery
Bucks Cross Rd, Chelsfield,
Orpington BR6 7RG
Call: 01689 877855
Spire - Hartswood - Brentwood
Private Consultations and Surgery
Eagle Way, Warley,
Brentwood CM13 3LE
Call: 01277 508161
BMI - London Independent Hospital
1 Beaumont Square,
London E1 4NL
Whilst surgery is carried out here for complex cases no consultations are held here.
The video consultation platforms (MS Teams and Zoom) have been set up by the hospitals to ensure your security and ease of use. The appointment staff will help you in setting up these consultations.
© 2023 A.G. Neurosurgery Limited. All Rights Reserved. Web Smart Media